What should you do if you have symptoms of depression during or after pregnancy?

Dr. David Kline

In brief: Seek help

If you are feeling 'the blues' or depression, there are treatments for this and not all are medicinal.
'solo time', that is time for you to do what makes you you is very important and can, by itself, often help the problem immensely. Certainly family support systems, counselors and medical intervention are also available and important resources. Do not just try to 'tough it out'.

In brief: Seek help

Dr. David Kline
Dr. David Kline
Dr. Michael Murray
Symptoms during pregnancy are uncommon and you should tell your doctor at your next visit, or sooner. After delivery, your symptoms are relatively common and help is certainly available as Dr. Kline points out - don't try to tough it out.
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: Balance hormones

I find that hormone imbalance usually causes depression around pregnancy.
The pregnancy can also start a thyroid problem too. These should be treated by balancing the hormones or treating the thyroid rather than prescribing antidepressants.

In brief: Balance hormones

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block