How many times could a tubal ligation fail?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Not often

The rate of tubal failure depends on the technique used but is roughly 1/400.
When I have a patient experience a tubal failure i recommend removing the tubes completely so that it does not happen again. The lowest rate of tubal failure is with essure in patients who do the confirmatory xray (hsg) 3 months after the procedure.

In brief: Not often

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Depends on type

Different types of surgical tubal ligation have different failure rates.
Pomeroy types(tied only) are 1/200 failure rates. Modified irving procedures whereby the tubes are tied, cut and the two ends separated from each other have a 1/10,000 failure rate. This type of ligation is very difficult to micro surgically re-anastomose.(put back together again.)

In brief: Depends on type

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Adam Levy