Should my 2 yr old be seen by a doctor because of his enlarged lymph nodes, nasal congestion, and red, swollen tonsils? He doesn't have a fever and his energy level is pretty normal. He is snoring horribly at night and seems to not be getting good rest. I

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: How long?

If this has been present for no more than a few days, then he needs to be checked for an infection including strep throat as mentioned by another doctor. However if this has been going on for more than 10 days, then one must rule out other causes for the lymph enlargement even though viral infection would be my best guess at this time.

In brief: How long?

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Richard Roberts
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Needs a strep test

The chief danger from a strep throat untreated for 10 days is the risk of post streptococcal glomerulonephritis and rheumatic fever--the latter can cause crippling heart disease.
That is why ALL sore throats should be swabbed .

In brief: Needs a strep test

Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts

In brief: Some

Some children can get markedly enlarged tonsils easily.
If his tonsils are close to touching or touching, it can cause degree of airway occlussion especially if you note him to stop breathing for brief periods at night. If this happens, a physician could consider a brief course of steroids to help reduce the swelling. Although, usually there is a fever with streph throat (not always); he could also be tested for this. Take care.

In brief: Some

Dr. James Donley
Dentistry

Yes, you have described several signs of sleep apnea.
He may need his tonsils removed. Sleep apnea can stunt his growth and make him hyperactive as he gets a little older. No one should snore.

Dr. James Donley
Dr. James Donley
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology