I am 20 years old and some of my friends have told me that I can get a shot to keep me from getting cervical cancer. Is it true?

Dr. Michael Flax
In the US, there are two vaccines for human papilloma virus.
There are many strains of HPV. Some are more virulent than others.One vaccine prevents 4 types of HPV, and the other prevents 2 types. These are a few of the more aggressive types.HPV is very common in the US. Prevention of any kind, be it vaccine or condoms, or abstinence, is recommended.Boys and girls, 9 up to 27 should get vaccinated.

Dr. Michael Flax
Dr. Michael Flax
2 comments
Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz
BUT cant emphasize enough that vaccination DOES NOT PROTECT 100% against all pos causes-USE A CONDOM
Dr. Katharine Garnier
I agree, the gardisil shot, which has 2 of the most common virus types that cause cervical cancer AND 2 of the most common ones causing warts, is very well tolerated and does help prevent cervical cancer and warts, but NOT ALL, and not other sexually transmitted diseases, so please use condoms and practice safe sex! Boys and men from 10-27 should also get the shot..
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology
There are two vaccines available in the market that will work 75% effectiveness if you do not have hpv.
You can start at 9-26 years of age. Gardisil and cervaix are the 2 brand names. Series of 3 injections one every month.

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Katharine Garnier
The shots are given at 0,2 and 6 months, by 6 months you should have completed the series.
Dr. Adam Levy