How often should I get a pap smear test?

Depends: age, nl pap. According to the american college of ob/gyne, pap smears should begin at age 21, then every 2 yrs ages 21-29. Women 30 and older, if 3 normal yearly paps, can have pap every 3 years. Hiv+ women need pap twice in first year after diagnosis and then yearly.An abnormal result will change how often a pap is recommended. Notify doctor sooner if discharge, bleeding (esp after sex), or pain.
New recommendations. The current recommendations can vary depending on age, however it appropriate for a women age 21 to 65 to have pap smears every three years as long as they are normal. After a hysterectomy and/or after age 65 a women with a history of normal paps does not ever need another pap. Every women should still have an annual exam.