Can pregnant via IVF woman get root canal treatment? My wife is 42 years of age, and getting pregnant through ivf, hopefully in next few weeks. Is it okay for the health of the mother and the child, if my wife goes for root canal to a dentist while she i

Dr. Richard Stiles
Dentistry

In brief: Probably

Check with obgyn, as every situation is different.
In general, major essential dental work should be completed before planned medical procedures as to not leave problems unaddressed that could develop into pain and/or infection that could affect both mother and child. Elective dental work should be left for after the 1st trimester. Emergencies, including root canals, should be dealt with quickly, .

In brief: Probably

Dr. Richard Stiles
Dr. Richard Stiles

In brief: Prevent infection

While i would always check first with my fertility doctor, if your wife is not pregnant yet, but is in need of a root canal, i would be sure to get it completed prior to the IV fertilization procedure.
Root canals are done to save teeth and prevent infection! that infection could affect your wife's entire body! do before the big day, i'd insure she's completely healthy!

In brief: Prevent infection

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Rx before IVF

We like to avoid dental rx during 1st & 3rd trimesters.
Try to have dental rx done before ivf, but probably ail not be harmful. Ck w both your infertility specialist and an endodontist (root canal specialist) before rx.

In brief: Rx before IVF

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman

In brief: Congrats

Congrats and hopefully you will both have good news in the near future! there is a misconception regarding pregnancy and dentistry.
Some people are led to believe that the mother should not undergo any treatment whatsoever. This is not completely true. Root canal therapy is a local treatment, taking place in one very small area of the body. The procedure itself is not invasive. What would be of concern is if the tooth is not treated, and then flares up. Your wife could be in pain, may get an infection, and become stressed over the entire ordeal. That would be worse, since she may need medicatins that act systemically, not locally. Not that these medications would necessarily affect the fetus, but i think you understand my point. She's not even pregnant yet, is she? Why not have the procedure completed in the next week or two, and this way it isn't even an issue. Consult with your dentist on his/her views as well as your fertility specialist. Each may have a different view on this subject. Again, congratulations and best of luck.

In brief: Congrats

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Cindy Juster