Is it best to let your child's baby teeth fall out on their own, or pull them out? Our son's beginning to lose his baby teeth, and he has one that's beginning to turn gray and just sitting there, not falling out. Is this something we can safely pull out a

Dr. Felicia Mata
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Baby Teeth

Is safer to be removed by your dentist to avoid possible infection or further infection than pulling it on your own.
Some cases can lead to aspiration and at times, they can be swallowed

In brief: Baby Teeth

Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. Felicia Mata

In brief: I'm

I'm assuming he's about 5 to 6 years old and these are his first deciduous (baby) teeth that you are asking about.
Is it loose? Does it hurt him? Is it a lower front tooth? If it has a greyish appearance, then the nerve in the tooth may have gone bad due to trauma. With so little information, i cannot advise you to wait, or to extract it yourself. Can you take him to your dentist for a quick look? That would be the best thing for you and your son.

In brief: I'm

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: When

When in doubt ask for advice from your dentist, but generally speaking children's teeth fall out very nicely all by themselves.
They are going to wiggle then and worry them until they fall out. If it is not causing pain just let nature take its course. One more thing be on you guard to note when it's lost or you will miss the chance to place tooth fairy. On that note allow me to share a poem with you: that is not what i got when bloody gummed i hid the remnant of my tooth beneath the soft down pillow, having played with it for hours over the last two months, and worried it till nothing but a tag of pink tissue, was all that was left between me and the visit from the tooth fairy. Failing to mention it to my mother, sleep slipping soundless through me with expectant dreams, yet in her own inscrutable way she arranged it all, and two ten cent coins replaced my trophy of approaching manhood, thrilling me more than the paper dollars the modern children tell me they get today, especially when they compensate for times the fairy failed to arrive at the divined appointments, as working mothers, too tired to remember let the moment slide away. N.S.M. 10.17.2005 dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

In brief: When

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Shontae Buffington