How long should I breastfeed my child?

Dr. Cindy Williams
In brief: Breast feeding
That is a very personal decision, there's no real set time.
Any amount of breast feeding is better than none. However, since children can start drinking whole milk, at a year of age, that's one time. Another is when the child can use a sippy, so they will never need a bottle. Some mom's nurse 2-3yrs, though. The benefits to mom, from breast feeding, are also found when nursing at least a year.

In brief: Breast feeding
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Cindy Williams
Dr. Jeff Livingston
In brief: One year
There is no exact time that is going to be right for everyone, but most experts breastfeeding for one year. Some babies lose interest earlier and some want to continue longer. Each case needs to be individualized.

In brief: One year
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jane Van Dis