Is it safe to take spironolactone (aldactone) while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Not Recommended. Spironolactone is a pregnancy class d drug and has known evidence of fetal risk. Talk to your doctor about this before stopping as there may be compelling reasons for you to stay on it. It's probably safe during nursing.
Avoid. Spironolactone could be taken during pregnancy - if absolutely necessary. There is likely very little indication for this drug in pregnancy, and in those cases there are other drugs that would be better choices. Spironolactone should not be used at all by a breastfeeding mom. The recommendation is to stop nursing if this drug must be used after delivery.