Can a child grow out of a gummy smile? Our eight year old has a very gummy smile, to the point that other kids at school will make fun of it. Of course this makes her very self-conscious, and prone to covering her face with her hand when she smiles. So, I

I . I have to agree with the other answer in the way of not giving you a yes or no answer. The is no way to tell considering the age of your daughter. Once she goes through her next few growth spurts, you will have a much better idea. Once all of her adult teeth come in, you will know and that is around age 12, give or take a year. Sorry we can't give you a "yes". There are treatments(laser recontouring) for it, but no dentist in his right mind would treat your daughter at this age. The silver lining, look at julia roberts: she has the most famous "gummy smile" and she is considered one of the most beautiful people in the world.
To . To answer your question regarding “growing out of the gummy smile, typical no, in fact usually the gummy smile will become worse with additional growing time. A gummy smile can be the result of an upper lip musculature that literally raises the lip up excessively when smiling. A gummy smile can also due to and excessive vertical length of the bone structure (covered by the gum tissue) surrounding the teeth. Ideally the upper lip will just barely cover the gum line of the upper front teeth when smiling. An excessive display of gum tissue when smiling can be a result of either of the 2 afore mentioned situations or a combination of both of them. The bone surrounding the upper teeth, which is covered by the gum tissue, continues to grow vertically in most people until they reach the late teenage years. So continued normal growth throughout the teenage years will result in an increasing amount of gum tissue display. Surgery can be one answer to resolving a gummy smile. However there are other ways that may be very effective in handling the gummy smile problem. There are some things that can be done interceptively to help ameliorate this condition. If your daughter has a dental deep overbite the upper front teeth can be moved to lessen the amount of gum tissue displayed in smiling while resolving the overbite condition. Additionally there are some things that can be done through conventional orthodontic treatment to reposition the entire upper dental arch if that is necessary as well. It is best to see a university trained orthodontic specialist and he/she, after a thorough diagnostic evaluation, can develop the best way to resolve your daughter’s condition. There are things that can be done now to help your daughter, t is best to seek advice at this time in the possibility that interception may significantly help prevent an extremely difficult problem to resolve.
Is . Is she mouth breathing and snores as well? Is she susceptible to get sore throat and upper respiratory infection that affects her ears at times? Besides her primary physician, she may need to see an eent specialist and have her turbinates, tonsils, and the size of her soft palate checked. Finding first the source of the problem (which is genetic) affecting her airway and looking for a dentist trained in orthopedics, orthodontic, and sleep medicine who can coordinate with the eent based on the given condition, can be a good start to minimize the problem or resolve it to a more acceptable and healthier level...
Sacramento, Wow, . Sacramento, wow, great question! mostly because, i don't know the answer. I think an orthodontic conversation may be helpful. In adults there are numerous reasons for a gummy smile. Each is addressed differently with varying degrees of success. In children, I am just unsure. Sorry i can be more helpful, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow dentistry at suburban square 610-649-0313 www.Dentistryatsuburbansquare.Com.
By . By gummy smile, i'm assuming that when she smiles broadly, you not only see her teeth but a whole lot of her gum tissue above the teeth. This is related to the growth of her face, head and jaws, which is hereditary. Unless she is still sucking her thumb and pushing her maxillary teeth forward, she is not contributing to the situation. She is still actively growing, so its tough to say if she will "grow out of it", but time will tell. She may be a bit young right now. I am sure that the distingushed oral surgeons on the avvo panel will answer your question more thoroughly with their personal experiences. All the best.