What is maintenance chemo? I am currently taking chemo for lung cancer. My doctor is talking about maintenance chemo after next treatment.

Dr. Nathaniel Evans III
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Continued chemo

The term maintenance chemotherapy refers to chemotherapy given for an extended period of time (usually at a lower dose) after initial standard treatment in an effort to prevent recurrence of cancer.

In brief: Continued chemo

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: "Maintenance

"maintenance chemotherapy" is chemotherapy given in low doses to prolong cancer remission after initial treatment with a higher dose chemo regimen.
You should talk to your doctor about what medications they plan to use, what to expect, and for how long you will have to use them. Good luck and congratulations for making it to the maintenance stage!

In brief: "Maintenance

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology