When can I resume taking birth control pills after having a baby?

Dr. Leandro Rodriguez

In brief: 21-42 days

Early postpartum use of combined birth control pills (estrogen + progesterone) may increase the risk of blood clots.
Women with no risk factors for blood clots may start the use after 21 days. Women with risk factors for clots (smoking, hypertension...) should wait 42 days. Progestin-only pills may be started earlier.

In brief: 21-42 days

Dr. Leandro Rodriguez
Dr. Leandro Rodriguez
Dr. Paula Hillard

In brief: 3-6 weeks

Ask your doctor even before your delivery.
Depending on your health and risk factors, you can restart the pill in 3-6 weeks after delivery. I hope that you are planning to breast feed--it's the healthiest thing for your baby and easiest for you. That will also determine when you can restart, and which pills are safest.

In brief: 3-6 weeks

Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Paula Hillard