What at-home techniques relieve epiphora in a newborn baby? My six-week-old has watery eyes all the time, even when she is not crying. Her doctor called this epiphora. Is there anything I can do at home to help this go away? .

Epiphora . Epiphora (poor tear drainage) in the newborn period is extremely common - 2-4% of all newborns will have it. It is usually due to an obstruction of the tear duct (newborn tear ducts are tiny!) and 95% of all cases get better on their own by the time the child is 1 years old. Two things that can help are for you to gently massage the tear ducts (inner eye corners) periodically and to use a clean wet washcloth to wipe away any occasional crusting from the tear buildup. Other than that, you will just have to wait until your child grows out of it. If your child is in the 5% that do not improve by 1 year, then your child's doctor will recommend an ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who can do a simple procedure to open the ducts. If the eye becomes red, swollen, or develops green drainage, call your child's doctor since it may be infected.