Can a tummy tuck cause deep vein thrombosis? I've been told that deep vein thrombosis can happen during or after a tummy tuck. Is this true, and if so, why? How is it prevented? .

Virchow's triad. The tummy tuck itself does not cause the clot but the stasis ( lack of movement) associated with being still under general anesthesia or in the post-operative period. To minimize this using foot pumps during surgery with compression stocking as well as encouraging movement after surgery is prescribed. Blood thinners may be used for high risk patients but not typically advised.
Deep . Deep vein thrombosis, dvt, can happen with any surgery. There are known risk factors for DVT that your surgeon will look for prior to surgery. A tummy tuck is a higher risk procedure because it causes abdominal pressure and decreases your waling activity. Muscle movement is the best way to prevent dvt's but during surgery you are not able to move. Every surgeon has a protocol to help reduce or prevent dvt's. You need to do these preventive measure before, during and after surgery. Some of these prevention measures are pneumatic compression stockings, support stockings, injections to prevent clotting, early ambulation etc. Make sure your surgeon has addressed these issues with you prior to surgery. Best wishes dr. Peterson.
Deep . Deep vein thrombosis can occur during tummy tuck preventive measures that reduce the possibility --- 1. Pneumatic compression stockings during surgery 2. Passive exercise of the lower extremities at the beginning and at the end of the surgery 3. Early ambulation after the surgery (i make sure that my patients are out of bed walking - two hours after the surgery).
It . It can occur following a tummy tuck.Prevention is number one.During the procedure we have a patient have pneumatic compression stockings.Once home I have my patients wear surgical support stockings 24/7 and get up walking the nexrt day.I tell my patients no siting in a chair for prolonger periods.www.beautybybrueck.com.
It . It is my personal opinion that during tummy tucks (witch hazel) that are performed under general anesthesia there is a high risk of thrombus formation, since under general anesthesia the body is paralyzed. Without the muscle tone there is no or very poor venous flow, which in turns leads to deep vein thrombosis. On the other hand, under sedation or twilight anesthesia combined with good local, the muscle tone is maintained and chances of deep vein thrombosis are very low. Good luck from nyc for more info visit www.Drgrossman.Com.