Is it safe to use birth control pills if I smoke?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: No
Combining oral contraceptive pills and tobacco use, especially if age is 35 or greater, is not safe.
Women need to stop smoking for their own sake and that of their children, present or future. There are many expert answers on tobacco cessation on the site; simply search for them and let me know if we can help support your efforts.

In brief: No
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
2 comments
Dr. Ira Katz
Smoking is never "safe" and particularly if on Birth Control Pills.
Dr. Ira Katz
Smoking is never "safe" but can be particularly dangerous while taking Birth Control Pills.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: No
Not if you are 35 or older. You can use the mini ill however or estrogen free methods.

In brief: No
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Collette Dominic
In brief: No
Your risk for blood clots and strokes increase if you are smoking especially if you are over 35 years old.

In brief: No
Dr. Collette Dominic
Dr. Collette Dominic
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology