When is the appropriate time to begin discussing sex health issues with my daughter?

Dr. Kevin Rodbell

In brief: Beat friends to it

In our society, children and adults are inundated with unhealthy messages about intimacy, violence, drugs, etc.
Take the opportunity to talk with your kids, at an age-appropriate level, about these topics, when they present themselves over media or in conversation. The younger you start, the more natural these conversations will be, and the more likely they'll turn to you when they're older.

In brief: Beat friends to it

Dr. Kevin Rodbell
Dr. Kevin Rodbell
Dr. Carol Van der Harst
It is helpful to introduce the language of body parts, privacy and safety, before the discussion of sex. Many times children play with, and explore their bodies before the concept of sexual health has any meaning to them. Supervision and monitoring children for their developing interest in sexual situations or their bodies can initiate a natural conversation. Try to limit Television exposure before family frameworks set the standard for safety, affection and touch.
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Sooner than later

As not to date myself; and not having been given the 'talk' myself i remember friends of mine sharing their experiences of the 'talk' with me around the time we were 12-13 years of age.
However, in today's shall we say different times it is never to early in my opinion; depending upon the maturity level of the individual child. Anyone who watches news even occasionally should keep this in mind.

In brief: Sooner than later

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: As Soon as .....

As early as possible with age appropriate discussions.
This includes touching issues for school age kids for example.Waiting too long is what creates misinformation and misunderstandings. Remember that while your 11 y/o may not be developing, his friends may already be changing.Do not shirk this subject.

In brief: As Soon as .....

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Megan Bird
A great resourse is Sex and Sensibility by Deborah Roffman. A wonderful book on talking to your kids about sex.
Dr. Marc Wager

In brief: When she's curious

You want her to learn from someone she knows/trusts, rather than some kid who misinforms her on the bus, right? Who better to teach her than a loving parent, who can also share values? Don't wait until she asks; you can also bring it up when you watch tv/movies together, or when topics arise in the news.
(un)fortunately, there are many opp'ties nowadays. There are also helpful books.

In brief: When she's curious

Dr. Marc Wager
Dr. Marc Wager
Dr. Shontae Buffington