What are the disadvantages of the female condom?

Dr. David Finke

In brief: Proper use

It is a loose-fitting condom that is placed into vagina prior to intercourse/sex to prevent pregnancy and std's.
There are two rings on either end so that the condom will stay in place. They can be tricky to use, so not my favorite contraception to recommend to a patient. Use only one kind of condom, don't use both male and female con.

In brief: Proper use

Dr. David Finke
Dr. David Finke
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Female Condoms

Are the only woman-controlled, non-hormonal barrier contraceptive that not only prevents pregnancy but also STDs.
Failure rate of 5% w/ perfect use, up to 20% w/ typical use. Newer versions easier to use; men like them b/c they allow more freedom and friction. Careful when removing to avoid spill. Make sure the penis doesn't miss the condom. Can't be used w/ other condoms.

In brief: Female Condoms

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen