Do I have prickly heat rash? I did hot yoga yesterday and now I am covered head to toe with tiny flat red bumps. They're especially bad on my glutes & quads. They itch, and i don't feel particularly good. They're not raised or full of pus

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Heat

Heat rash (miliaria rubra) occurs when your sweat glands become blocked and sweat is trapped under the skin.
This can cause a red rash that can either look like little blisters or larger red lumps. It can be itchy or "prickly" which is why many people refer to it as prickly heat. Even though it can be annoying, the good news is that it usually resolves on its own. You can help by preventing sweating such as staying in a cool environment, wear lightweight clothing of breathable material (like cotton), and limiting physical activity in the heat. Calamine lotion can help with the itch. Good luck!

In brief: Heat

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine