Should I see an ortho foot specialist or physical therapist? Three weeks ago I sprained my foot. I tripped running up stairs outside the school and basically kicked the concrete step full force. I knew immediately I hurt my foot. My dr x-rayed a few days

A . A small, hairline fracture might very well not show up on an x-ray, especially an x-ray that was taken only a few days after the injury. If your foot still hurts past the 2 week mark, the protocol is to take a second set of x-rays and look for bone callus, this white, fuzzy looking stuff that is seen around a healing fracture. It takes 14 days for bone callus to be visible on x-ray (and you still may not see the fracture line). So i would go back to your doctor and have it re-x-rayed and look for bone callus. If your second set of x-rays fail to show any bone callus and you're still having pain, swelling, etc., an MRI would show any soft tissue damage that might be present (and also wouldn't show up on an x-ray). I would caution against taking Ibuprofen continually. One of the stages of bone (and wound) healing is the inflammatory stage. You need a certain amount of inflammation in order to heal. If you constantly take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, you will suppress or delay healing. Stick with tylenol (acetaminophen), (acetaminophen) and if tylenol (acetaminophen) isn't sufficient to reduce your pain, ask for a narcotic combination with the tylenol (acetaminophen), (acetaminophen) like tylenol (acetaminophen) with codeine. Hope this helps. Feel better!
It may take months. Ankle/foot sprains are known to last longer than other parts of body because of their weight-bearing nature on every step you take. Mild sprain may last couple of wks, but severe ones may take months, good shoes/cushions, ankle support/aircast/braces may help. Elevate when u can. Motrin/aleve may easy pain/inflammation. Since u already got xray showing no fracture, it is reassuring. Good luck.
See an . Orthopedist or a podiatrist.....
Many possibilities. R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Immobilization with a splint or brace may be of benefit in the initial phase of recovery. Oral anti-inflammatory medication may help with the pain and swelling. Once improved, mobilization and physical therapy can help restore strength and function.