Is it possible that after dating someone for a year and a half and having no symptoms out of no where i get an outbreak? Hi, well for starters i was diagnosed with genital herpes two days ago... I've been extremely depressed ever since. I've had an STD te

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: It

It is possible that one of you were carrying the virus for an extended period of time.
It does not necessarily mean anyone is cheating. I am so sorry that this is happening for you but there is safe effective treatment. Please have your boyfriend go get checked also. And if your depression is continuing then please also arrange counseling for that. I wish you the best.

In brief: It

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Engrav is exactly right. It's also possible that your partner has been infected since before your relationship started but transmission only now occurred. This scenario also doesn't imply that anyone cheated.