Is it safe to take ranitidine while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine

Ranitidine, now an over-the-counter product known as zantac, has been well studied in pregnancy.
And for good reason! heartburn is very common in the second and third trimesters, so the good news is that OTC ranitidine is considered safe in pregnancy and breast-feeding.

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
Dr. Robert Pearson-Martinez
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Probably safe

Ranitidine is pregnancy class B - no demonstrated risk in animal studies, probably safe in 2nd & 3rd trimesters.
Also considered "probably safe" in breast feeding. In general, caution is advised, so I would definitely discuss it with your doctor or midwife.

In brief: Probably safe

Dr. Robert Pearson-Martinez
Dr. Robert Pearson-Martinez

This drug falls into the lower risk category for both pregnancy and during breast feeding.