Can adults use fluoride treatments? I remember getting fluoride treatments when i went to the dentist as a kid, but those have stopped in adulthood. Lately i've been having more and more cavities for some reason, and i'm wondering if i could ask my dentis

Dr. Andres Carbunaru
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

Adults should get fluoride at the office as well as use mouthwash with fluoride

In brief: Fluoride

Fluoride treatment is an excellent recommendation! adults with a higher rate of decay or greater potential for decay should receive regular Fluoride treatments.
I offer topical application of Fluoride twice a year or a prescription based Fluoride toothpaste every day. This treatment has shown to prevent caries. It also can reverse cavities that haven't penetrated the enamel. This is real stuff that I have seen work for hundreds of my patients. It is a great "bang for your buck" too. Wishing you prevent many future cavities, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow.

In brief: Fluoride

In brief: Dry

Dry mouth, mouth breathing, & medications that cause dry mouth could be contributing to the increase in decay.
Start a discussion with your dentist & determine if aging or dry mouth or medication is the source....Or is the dentist just renewing some older, now faulty, dental work & you perceive this as new cavities. Prescription Fluoride toothpastes do work but try to understand your situation better. I am sure your dentist will welcome the discussion.

In brief: Dry

Dr. Maria Lozada
Dentistry

In brief: Flouride

Flouride treatments will definitely help prevent cavities .
There are also other causes like dry mouth and bacterial levels and acidity of your mouth. Signs of dry mouth is very hard to detect until it gets severe. Certain medications can also cause it. It is best talk to your dentist regarding this matter.

In brief: Flouride

Dr. Whitney Berens
Dentistry

In brief: All

All these answers are great.
Flouride treatments are definatly a good idea for adults. Many insurance companies will cover Fluoride treatments once or twice a year for adults. Also look at your toothpaste to be sure that it has flouride in it (most do). Flouride mouth wash is avalible to swish. Your dentist can even prescribe a high flouride toothpaste that you get from the pharmacy. Remember that this is a treatment that needs to sit on the surface of your teeth without being washed off for the best effects. That is why you were told not to eat or drink anything for 30 mins as a kid after you got the flouride treatment. So i usually tell patients to apply the flouride at night right before bedtime to let it sit on the teeth all night.

In brief: All

All these answers are great.
Dr. Cindy Juster