I'm pretty sure I have a cavity on a molar in the lower left of my mouth; i can feel it with my tongue. However, i don't have dental insurance or much money right now. Is there anything i can do temporarily that might help prevent my tooth from damage?

Dr. Eyal Simchi
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Dental school

It is important to treat a cavity soon.
Keeping the bacteria count in your mouth low by brushing flossing and rinsing often can help slow the process. But having it restored is the only way to stop the process. Look into dental school clinics or local hospital dental programs for low cost dentistry.

In brief: Dental school

It is important to treat a cavity soon.
Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: Need to see dentist

try a low cost clinic or a dental school.

In brief: Need to see dentist

Dr. Minh Nguyen
Dentistry

In brief: Cavity

Cavity does not heal by itself and need to be treated by dentist.
If you can feel it by your tongue, it could be big cavity already. You need to look for service asap before if getting bad. There is free service provided by ram california include medical, dental, vision in oakland on march 22-25 and in sacramento march 30-april 2. There will be many people in line for service, so you need to be there early to get your number. They will give out number at 3:30am and start to screen at 5am, many people camp overnight to get number. You can check website www.Ram-ca.Org for more information. I am will volunteer as dentist in sacramento too.

In brief: Cavity

Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry

In brief: Cavities

Cavities don't heal, and you can't minimize their growth.
Can you try to find a dental school clinic or other type of lower cost clinic? If you don't treat it sooner than later it will either cost you more money- or the lost of the tooth.

In brief: Cavities

In brief: Cavities

Cavities are full of bacteria and food, and unless the cavity is cleaned out by a dentist and restored, it only festers and the acids from the bacteria continue to soften and destroy your tooth.
Trying to to temporarily fill it will not resolve the problem. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get, and the treatment you will need can potentially be more expensive. Dental treatment is least expensive when the problem is minor. Major treatment requires more time and expertise and therfore will cost more. Dental insurance does not necessarily cover all of the costs of dental care, so there will still be an out of pocket expense. Seek out a community dental clinic in your area that may be able to treat you at a reduced cost. If you can feel the cavity with your tongue, it is already moderate in size.

In brief: Cavities

Dr. William Forsythe