What is the purpose of bicuspidization? I've been diagnosed with tricuspid valvar disease, and have been told that bicuspidizaztion will allow me to save both sides of the tooth. I really can't make any sense of what this means.

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Root separation

also called bicuspidization.
The prognosis for bicuspidization is the same as for routine endodontic procedures provided that case selection has been performed correctly. Today, an implant-supported restoration offers a predictable treatment for tooth replacement. Good luck!

In brief: Root separation

also called bicuspidization.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Dr.

Dr. Mcleod hit the mark explaining exactly what bicuspidization is.
Has the tooth already had root canal therapy? If not, the cost of the root canal, two posts, and two crowns may approach or exceed the cost of extracting an already periodontally involved tooth and placing an implant and a crown on the implant. The decision is best made between you and your dentist who knows the periodontal health of that tooth.

In brief: Dr.

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis

In brief: There

There is no relationship between your heart valves & the problem you potentially describe about your tooth other than the word cuspid.
...True in the heart, there is a bicuspid & tricuspid valve (that is their name, 2 leafed & 3 leafed). If there is a treatment plan for your tooth, the heart is not directing it. At times if it makes sense to a treating dentist, he can separate the 2 roots of a lower molar & make 2 out of them, & allow bone & gum to divide them.. Technically you can compare them now to a single rooted bicuspid (a premolar ). Sometimes it makes sense to split the molar in half & remove one of the roots (hemisection) & use it as a one rooted tooth ( similar to a bicuspid ). This is leading us off into another tangent to dliscuss why a tooth may be called a bicuspid. I think yor question as posed makes no sense & should be address by whoever gave you this information in the first place. If it was your dentlist I am sure he would welcome the opportunity to clear it up for you, .

In brief: There

Dr. Bruce Apfelbaum
Dr. Bruce Apfelbaum
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: THIS

This is a really great question - thank you for asking it.
If you have a tooth that has lost a lot of bone, and it has two roots (a molar) between which plaque accumulates and causes and infection, then that focus of infection will compromise your heart valve. Bacteria can enter the blood stream from the site of infection when you bite on the tooth and that can cause damage to your heart valves. So what can be done to stop that? One answer is to open up the space between the roots of the tooth so that you can get a small brush into keep it clean. Another is to perform root canal treatment on the tooth and divide it in half between the roots and crown each resulting root as if it were a smaller tooth like the bicuspid teeth in front of the molars which have one root. This process is called bicuspidization. I hope that helps you! dr. Neil mcleod dds dentistry that last - quality that counts.

In brief: THIS

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Andrea Brand