Is it safe to take rabies immune globulin while pregnant or breastfeeding?

In brief: Yes, IgG is safe

Immune globulin (igg) is concentrated antibodies, and helps protect against a variety of infections.
It is safe for pregnant women, breastfeeding moms, and infants. Of course, there could be a rare allergic reaction on a rare occassion. Because IgG is purified from other people's blood plasma, there is also a very, very rare chance that something contagious could be transmitted in the injection.

In brief: Yes, IgG is safe

Dr. Scott Dyer
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: If needed, yes

Like any immunoglobulin, the rabies specific igg could pass into breast milk.
I am not aware of any information about pregnancy safety, . However, if a women has been bitten by an animal with rabies, then the risk of having rabies far outweighs the risk of taking the immunoglobulin.

In brief: If needed, yes

Dr. Scott Dyer
Dr. Scott Dyer
Dr. Cindy Juster