Will having a nissen fundoplication affect my ability to breathe normally?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: It May Improve

A small subset of people with gerd have reflux of acid up their esophagus and down their trachea (especially at night), with symptoms that are similar to asthma.
Before proceeding with anti reflux surgery, I have all of my patients undergo a 24-hr pH study. This can better assess whether any breathing problems are secondary to reflux.

In brief: It May Improve

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Can improve

If reflux was resulting in aspiration pneumonitis, then nissen can reduce the reflux, which will allow the lungs to potentially recover and your breathing should improve.

In brief: Can improve

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery