What should I do about my mirena falling out? I got my mirena inserted 03/24/11 after my second child. I started my period today and noticed when i was looking for the string of my tampon a thinner metal like string that was outside of my vagina. I remove

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: You

You can wait to see your doctor, but in the meantime definitely use condoms for protection from pregnancy.
Your doctor can perform a pelvic exam and possibly an ultrasound to be sure your Mirena (levonorgestrel) is still in place. You are right, the Mirena (levonorgestrel) can be expelled, and though this is rare it can definitely happen.

In brief: You

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham