Why might my kidneys have failed during my lung cancer surgery?

Many factors. There are several factors that can lead to kidney failure, especially after a surgical procedure. This may be due to the anesthesia, the surgery itself, or from metabolic changes that occur both during and after the surgery. Optimizing your overall medical condition will help facilitate your recovery.
Kidney failure. After any operation is unfortunate and could be from many causes: an antibiotic, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, underlying kidney disease, a blood clot, etc. It's not usual, but it does not mean something was done improperly. Ask your doctor. If your not satisfied with the answer, have your records reviewed to establish the cause to your satisfaction.