Why do I need to have a barium swallow test before I get a nissen fundoplication?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Position of Stomach
Gerd is often associated with a hiatal hernia, thru which the stomach "yo-yo's" up into the chest.
Some patients with advanced disease have their entire stomach stuck within the chest with a shortened esophagus. We need to know this pre-op in order to plan a different surgical approach.

In brief: Position of Stomach
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Eric Toloza
also to make sure no large mass, but this hopefully was ruled out with an endoscopy.
Dr. David Earle
Surgery
In brief: Function & anatomy
I use this test to confirm the anatomy of the stomach and esophagus, as well as to assess the ability of the esophagus to push solids and liquids into the stomach (solids are usually barium coated marshmallows).

In brief: Function & anatomy
Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Cancer or motion
To ruleout esophageal cancer or motility disorders of the esophagus, such as achalasia .
.. May also need manometry studies ...

In brief: Cancer or motion
.. May also need manometry studies ...
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Check stomach
Some people with advanced gerd have such significant scarring that the stomach cannot return to the abdominal cavity.
This is important to know before surgery so that your surgeon can consider doing the surgery through the chest or performing a procedure to lengthen the esophagus at the time of the fundoplication.

In brief: Check stomach
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery