When choosing a surgeon to perform my esophagectomy for cancer, what should I consider?

Expertise. Esophagectomy or removal of the esophagus for cancer is a difficult operation. However, the surgeons who have good outcomes are the ones who expertise with the procedure. Things to look out for: do they do more than 12-15 esophagectomies per year? To they have a post-op care pathway? Are their nurses skilled in the care of the esophagectomy patient? Do they have a plan for when you go home? And do they explain things to you and your family clearly?
Experience. The surgeon doing an occasional esophagectomy may be good, but it is unlikely they will be as up to date in the newer details of surgery, and more importantly, post- operative care. This is an example of where experience really does matter.