What is tracheomalacia?

Tracheomalacia. Tracheomalacia is the collapsing of the trachea (the tube that brings air from the back of the throat to the lungs) with breathing in (inspiration). The front part of the trachea has hard cartilage, and the back a soft membrane. In patients with emphysema or other conditions, that soft part can collapse with inspiration causing a partial obstruction and difficulties breathing.
Weakness in trachea. The supporting structures of the trachea are cartilage, which keep the trachea from collapsing on itself during breathing. The cartilage can be damaged by infection, trauma, congenital, or other. Treatment can be complex, since the use of stents in the airway in benign disease is discouraged.