Molar #19 filling chipped of. My new dentist recommended crown without even looking on x-ray. Filling is in the middle of the cr molar #19 filling chipped of. My new dentist recommended crown without even looking on x-ray. Filling is in the middle of the

The reason. Could very well be that your dentist, having seen a filling fail in your molar, presumably because the size of the filling may be too large, that the better way to fix the tooth is with a crown. There are many kinds of full or partial crowns that could be done.
It . It is so difficult to answer your question, sight unseen. Without knowing how broken down your tooth is, advising you of your treatment options is not prudent. A radiograph will show many things, and should be evaluated when making a decision on the proper treatment. Fillings can be replaced, to a point. It depends on how broken down your tooth is, your occlusion (how your teeth meet together), and the opinion of your dentist. Inlays and onlays are more conservative than crowns, and may be a good option for you. By posting to this website, you are questioning the diagnosis of your current dentist. Getting a second opinion by someone who can actually treat you may give you a better insight on the proper course of treatment.
If . If your filling is chipped, and not the tooth, a new filling should be fine, if the filling is less than half the width of your tooth. If it is larger than that, a bonded inlay or onlay would be indicated. Other than the strength of the material, an inlay and a composite/resin filling are just about the same. Gold inlays are cemented into place and ceramic ones are bonded.
Again, . Again, without a direct look and an x-ray it is hard to give you a specific answer, but some things hold true regardless. Whether a crown or inlay/onlay is placed will depend alot on how much tooth structure is left after all of the old filling and any decay are removed. With the newer methods of dental adhesion it is possible to use the more conservative inlay /onlay in a greater number of situations and follow the "minimally invasive dentistry" approach". The choice of material is sometimes the result of what a particular dentist feels works best in their hands. I have placed thousands of ceramic and composite inlays successfully. If you want to learn if a ceramic inlay or onlay is proper for your tooth get a second or even third opinion. When you call for an appointment ask if the dentist does these types of restorations, and then request a consultation and evaluation.
If . If the structure gone is beyond 1/3rd of the tooth - crown, inlay, or onlay is usually recommended. The type of restoration also depends which part of the tooth is affected, parafunctional habits, and what's left on the remaining surface receiving the load. An experienced dentist can sometimes judge through clinical oral evaluation what type of restoration is required but still needs to see the x-ray of the tooth to evaluate the evidence of decay if it is already encroaching or right on the pulp. An object has 3 dimension and that applies on the tooth when looking at an x-ray. Some lesion won't show depending on the angle the picture was taken. If the filling is old and had been exposed to oral environment, it is hard to determine the bacterial damage as well. It is an advantage to remove defective fillings and place a new one (after disinfecting the tooth and placing neccesary medicaments) to build it up prior to placing a crown, an inlay, or an onlay. If the tooth won't be aesthetically compromised and the damage is by the gum line, gold is a better choice because it is biocompatible to the tissues.
Since . Since the real problem is with the level of trust in your dentist, i recommend you see the specialist in this area: the prosthodontist. www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a prosthodontist near you. Best of luck, dr. Zev kaufman.
I . I hear this question often. Some patients want an "x-ray" and some insist on no "x-rays". An x-ray, otherwise know as a radiograph, is nothing more than one tool in a basket of many. Each tool has its use and not all tools are needed to help figure out or fix the problem. When i can diagnosis disease with my own eyes, radiographs can not only be unnecessary but excessive. Other times a radiograph can reveal a wealth of information that couldn't be obtained otherwise. In each scenario, the proper tools should be chosen in concert with your dentist to understand/diagnosis the problem. Only when you understand the disease can you explore solutions. Without understanding your exact tooth condition it is difficult to offer the best treatment. In general i review all treatment options with each patient. With this approach i can guide them to a treatment that is best for them as an individual in each specific situation. Hope this is helpful, michael i. Wollock dmd, agd fellow.