Every month during my period my eyelids swell up and get itchy. Why does that happen? They swell up while i'm sleeping and go down after i''ve been up for awhile. They swell up between days 2 and 4 of my period.

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: That

That is a very rare symptom. The first thing i would be worried about would be an allergic reaction.
If you are taking anything for discomfort from menstruation, such as advil (ibuprofen) or another medication, i would wonder if you are allergic to it. Fluid retention is another possibility, although again to have eyelid swelling would be very rare; most women have more "overall" fluid retention. My first concern would be some type of allergic reaction. Please do discuss this with your doctor. If you have increased swelling, any rash, any shortness of breath or new symptoms then you would have to be seen immediately in the er.

In brief: That

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Jane Van Dis