50 y.O female with period lasting almost 2 weeks when previously lasted only 5 days. Periods have been irregular past 8 mos, thought menopause.Used to be every 28-30 days , now every 30-60 days but never lasted this long before

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: I

I agree with your concern, and you need to have a complete gynecological evaluation.
Please be sure your pap smear is up to date. You may need a blood test to be sure you aren't anemic from the bleeding. You may need an endometrial biopsy (test of the lining of the uterus). An examination or an ultrasound may be necessary to determine if you have fibroids of the uterus (noncancerous growths that frequently cause bleeding). Your bleeding could be from peri-menopause, but you need a complete evaluation because of the prolonged bleeding.

In brief: I

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Adam Levy