I've been using birthcontrol pills for a month. It's my first packet. Im on the " no hormone" pill. I haven't gotten my period. Whats happening?

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: A

A few things could be going on.
First of all, if you are using the birth control pill correctly (taking a pill at the same time every day without missing one) than you have a less than 2% of being pregnant. More than likely, your missed period is either from just starting the pill (it can take up to 3 months for your body to adjust and you may have irregular periods during this time) or from the pill itself. Many low estrogen formulations can cause very light or even missed periods. Some women will choose a low-estrogen pill just for that side effect! if you continue to have irregular periods past 3 months and fond it worrisome, talk to your doctor about switching to a different pill. If you have missed pills, have had unprotected sex and think you might be pregnant, a home pregnancy test will be 97% accurate 1-2 weeks after the missed/light period. A doctor's urine test would be able to detect a pregnancy test now. Good luck!

In brief: A

A few things could be going on.
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham