When can I take a pregnancy test and it be accurate? I am wondering how many days after intercourse i can take a pregnancy test. My periods are highly irregular so waiting to miss one really doesn't give me any answers.The last 4-5 days I have just been a

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: You

You can either take a home pregnancy test as long as it has been 5- 6 weeks since your last normal period (3-4 weeks since having unprotected sex), or you can go see your doctor and they can test you.
A home pregnancy test is 97% accurate if taken a week or more after the missed period or 3-4 weeks after conception. A blood test can tell if you are pregnant as soon as 7 days after conception and a doctor's urine pregnancy test can tell if you are pregnant around when you next period should come.

In brief: You

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Pathology

In brief: Agree with Dr. M

Blood test for HCG can provide diagnosis three weeks after the episode of sex resulting in conception.
Home pregnancy test should be done 4-5 days after a missed period. If the result is negative repeat the test 4-5 days later unless you get a period by then. Use first morning urine and follow the instructions for the test carefully.

In brief: Agree with Dr. M

Dr. Adam Levy