Is it normal for my heart to stop for a few seconds at a time after my bypass surgery?

Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: No, but...
...This is why you are being monitored so that when this happens, treatment can be instituted.
Sometimes, this asystole happens but easily treatable.

In brief: No, but...
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. ALADIN MARIANO
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology
In brief: Occurs not infrequen
What you describe can be anything from a skipped beat, (most likely) to a "pause" and is usually benign and resolves on its own, but let your doctor know.
A disruption of the conductive pathways between the sa and the av node can occur especially with valve surgery. This is picked up early on and may require a pace maker. If your condition persists, or you feel dizzy, let doctor know right away.

In brief: Occurs not infrequen
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery