For several years I have been experiencing severe constipation and I have tried miralax, docusate, magnesium citrate, senna, sup for several years I have been experiencing severe constipation and I have tried miralax, docusate, magnesium citrate, senna, s

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: The best

The best meds for constipation are cheap: proper diet and proper fluid intake.
Eat a high fiber diet and you don't need fiber supplements. Drink 80 - 100 ounces of non alcoholic, non caffeniated fluids every day. You must break bad habits if you want any relief. There is no magic pill that can replace a helathy lifestyle! senna cascara ios not good long term and causes melanosis coli which stains.

In brief: The best

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: I

I am sorry that you are going through this.
You need to see a gastroenterologist and have a complete evaluation. You may need a colonoscopy or a transit-time study to evaluate your intestinal tract. There are multiple causes of constipation. I am assuming you are on a high fiber diet, walking as much as you can (preferably 2-3 miles a day), and are drinking plenty of fluids every day. Check to see if any of your medications cause constipation (any narcotics or psychiatric medications cause constipation). But you do need a complete GI evaluation. If you develop pain, fever, or vomiting then you will have to go to the er.

In brief: I

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Vicken Poochikian