If I smoke and have copd, could I die during my bypass surgery?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Bypass surgery

Your cardiothoracic surgeon needs to review with you your specific risks heading into surgery.
Smoking and COPD are additional risk factors for recovery post-operatively. Your surgeon will make sure that a pulmonologist will follow with him once the surgery is completed. You should be making plans to cease smoking forever given your need for bypass surgery.

In brief: Bypass surgery

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

Good lung function is necessary to successfully come off cardiac bypass machine.
Depends on severity of copd. If you mean gastric bypass, yes again because morbid obesity worsens pulmonary function. May definitely prolong time to extubation also. You may not be a candidate until you stop. If vascular bypass, smoking can cause graft to fail and worsen anesthetic outcome. Please, get help to stop!

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery