Pain on the bottom of both feet esp. When i first stand up that gets better with walking I am a nurse that works up to 12 hours on my feet but this is really a problem just when i first stand and start walking

Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry

In brief: You

You are describing post-static dyskinesia.
(post = after; status = rest; dyskinesia = pain; thus, "pain after rest") without knowing exactly what parts of your feet you're feeling this in, it's hard to give specific advice. In my practice, post-static dyskinesia is most common in the heels, and a common symptom of plantar fasciitis, or an inflammation of the plantar fascia, a ligament that connects the heel bone to the ball of the foot. Plantar fasciitis is usually something that develops over several months and is associated with a high arched foot structure (which is less shock-absorbing than a flatter foot). While excessive weight doesn't really cause plantar fasciitis, there is an association between weight gain and plantar fasciitis, and excessive weight makes it harder to treat. The best treatments for plantar fasciitis are some sort of orthotic to wear inside your shoe, steroid injections, stretching and wearing a night splint. Interestingly, some recent research has shown that over-the-counter arch supports have a better cure rate for this problem than a custom made orthotic, believe it or not! i've focused on plantar fasciitis only because it's the most common cause of post-static dyskinesia. There are many other problems associated with this symptoms, but without more specific information, it's difficult to give specific advice. In general, however, if you're on your feet long hours, it's best to wear a supportive sneaker, like new balance or nike, and one of the best over-the-counter arch supports out there are powersteps, which you can buy on line in many places. Hope this helps. I love nurses! i married one!

In brief: You

Dr. Howard Fox
Dr. Howard Fox
Dr. Arnon Rubin