If I get bronchitis every few weeks, will I eventually need lung surgery?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: No

No you will not. There are patients that are susceptible to recurrent bronchitis for a number of reasons (ie active smokers, patients with structural lung disease like bronchiectasis, patients with immunodeficiencies).
It is best to see a lung specialist (pulmonologist) if you are having recurrent bronchitis to make sure there is nothing else going on. Surgery is unlikely.

In brief: No

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Not necessarily

If the bronchitis develops an area of severe bronchiectasis, then surgery may be indicated to remove the area of bronchiectasis.
But surgery will not cure the recurrent bronchitis. If smoking or exposed to occupational hazards (dust or chemical fumes), then may need to avoid those causes of bronchitis.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery