I am 42 years old and have had my tubes banded for 12 years. Is it possible for me to have a reveral and have a baby? I want to know if I do become pregnant, what are the chances of complications of pregnancy or birth defects.

In brief: Fresh eggs

From your age i assume you still have a basket full of chances.
It may be technically a problem as getting tubes to work again after they were tied is not always successful. A fertility dr could help you ovulate & harvest some eggs through a laparoscope. Your husbands sperm could be added to the eggs and the resulting embryos placed into your womb. Difficult & expensive but possible.

In brief: Fresh eggs

Dr. Jay Nemiro
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Good

Success of a tubal reversal depends on three things: age of the patient and at 42 you can still be ok, skill of the surgeon and length of tubal segments remaining.
In my experience, the "bands" are the easiest to reverse and give you the best success rates. Ivf is also an option but generally is more expensive. In the right hands, complication rates are very low. Good luck.

In brief: Good

Dr. Jay Nemiro
Dr. Jay Nemiro
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Yes,

Yes, it is possible to have a reversal and have a baby.
There is a higher risk after age 40, but with good nutrition and screening the risks are still quite low. Please see a gynecologist for a complete evaluation, and good luck in your process.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham