Think my 1yr old has a milk protein allergy, have switched her to rice milk formula. Is this ok? Its only been a week, she seems to be happier, still eating solids 3 times a day with snacks. Consumes up to 24oz of this "formula" plus juice and h2o sippy

Dr. Rebecca Butler

In brief: A

A milk protein allergy can present at this age if you have switched to whole milk, and have not been using a milk based formuls in infancy.
Depending on what kind of formula you were using throughout infancy, an allergy typically would have been a problem earlier. "toddler" formulas are more costly and you hate to restrict her diet if she does not have a true allergy. I suggest you talk more with your pediatrician or have allergy testing performed to confirm a true allergy.

In brief: A

Dr. Rebecca Butler
Dr. Rebecca Butler
Dr. Joram Seggev
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Rice

Rice milk does not contain cow's milk, so it is a good replacement.
On the other hand, most cow's milk allergy at this age shows up earlier, . Therefore, it would be a good idea to take your daughter to a board-certified allergist to find out whether she is truly allergic to cow's milk.

In brief: Rice

Dr. Joram Seggev
Dr. Joram Seggev
Dr. Adam Levy