How is lung cancer usually diagnosed?

Symptom, signs. And imaging, then a biopsy. Cough, wt loss, history of smoking leads to an x-ray, then a ct scan showing location and what else seemingly is involved. A biopsy through a scope or a needle directed by the imaging ct collects cells for analysis. Treatment depends on what is involved, how healthy you are, and what you tolerate.
A new study. The results of the national lung screening trial (nlst) demonstrated that for high risk patients (age >50 years and extensive smoking history) screening low dose ct scan improved survival, and was more effective for finding lung cancers then simple x-ray. Discuss these findings with your doctor.
Xray. Lung cancer is usually first discovered on an xray or ct scan. Ultimately, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis.
I would add to this. ...Informaiton from my colleagues that sometimes lung cancer is diagnosed and treated at the same time. In a healthy patient, with proper staging and a mass that is highly likely to be lung cancer, the best "diagnostic" method may be to take it out. A team of experts that includes a thoracic surgeon is the best way to determine whether this is the case.