How is lung cancer usually diagnosed?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Symptom, signs
And imaging, then a biopsy.
Cough, wt loss, history of smoking leads to an x-ray, then a ct scan showing location and what else seemingly is involved. A biopsy through a scope or a needle directed by the imaging ct collects cells for analysis. Treatment depends on what is involved, how healthy you are, and what you tolerate.

In brief: Symptom, signs
And imaging, then a biopsy.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: A new study
The results of the national lung screening trial (nlst) demonstrated that for high risk patients (age >50 years and extensive smoking history) screening low dose ct scan improved survival, and was more effective for finding lung cancers then simple x-ray.
Discuss these findings with your doctor.

In brief: A new study
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Edward Gold
In brief: Xray
Lung cancer is usually first discovered on an xray or ct scan.
Ultimately, a biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis.

In brief: Xray
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: I would add to this
...Informaiton from my colleagues that sometimes lung cancer is diagnosed and treated at the same time.
In a healthy patient, with proper staging and a mass that is highly likely to be lung cancer, the best "diagnostic" method may be to take it out. A team of experts that includes a thoracic surgeon is the best way to determine whether this is the case.

In brief: I would add to this
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology