How could I have developed skin cancer (melanoma) on my lung?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Spread in blood

Cancer can spread to other areas through the lymphatics to lymph nodes or directly invade the blood stream and float and pumped to other areas of the body.
Therefore melanoma is a very dangerous cancer where the slightest growth deep into the skin ends up getting into the blood stream. Its a strange disease though as the original melanoma may be resected years before it shows up in other organs.

In brief: Spread in blood

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
When melanoma metastasizes it usually does so via the lymphatic system. This is why some patients undergo what is called a sentinel lymph node biopsy to determine the extent of their disease. It is likely that metastatic melanoma to the lung became so due to lymphatic spread of the disease.
Dr. Edward Gold

In brief: Metastasis

While melanoma is a cancer that starts in the skin, it can spread (metastasize) to other areas including the lung.

In brief: Metastasis

Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Eric Whitman
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Metastasis

Melanoma can spread to lungs from primary sites on the skin.
In fact, it is a fairly common site of melanoma metastasis.

In brief: Metastasis

Dr. Eric Whitman
Dr. Eric Whitman
Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Metastasectomy

In some patinets, if they have oligo metastasis (meaning few) and they are confined to the lung, they may benefit from surgical removal of the lung metastasis.
This can be done minimally invasively or by video assisted thoracic surgery (vats).

In brief: Metastasectomy

Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Lyall Gorenstein
Over the years I have operated on several patients with metastatic melanoma to the lungs, and have published results on this topic. In some patients surgery can be very helpful and often curative, if there is a single or very few metastases
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Metastasize

The melanoma cells travel from your skin and develop tumors in the lung.
Melanoma can travel to any organ in your body.

In brief: Metastasize

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Paul Zhang
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Immunotherapy and pe

I agree with dr cook, surgery to remove metastatic sites should always be considered if feasible, this is different from masny other type of cancers.
More importantly, immunotherapy save life.

In brief: Immunotherapy and pe

Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology