How long is it okay to spot bleed after a missed birth control pill? I missed my birth control pill for 3 days in a row, I have went back to taking it everyday at the same time but I am still bleeding vaginally and have been for 5 days.

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: You

You may bleed or spot for the rest of the pack.
Once you miss three pills, you start to bleed from withdrawing the hormone, and starting the pills again will not reverse this effect. Continue to take the pills everyday and also use a back up method of contraception. Hopefully after your period this cycle, you will stop spotting, given you take the pills as directed. Have you considered the nuvaring? It is a great alternative for women who often forget to take their pills. Ask your doctor for more information.

In brief: You

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham