How bad does my GERD need to get before surgery becomes a good idea?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Very bad.

I advise my patients that the surgical treatment for gerd is not for the "casual refluxer".
The surgery changes the way that your stomach processes food and is really only a "band-aid" procedure, in that it does not correct the physiologic abnormality that causes reflux. However, if your quality of life is significantly affected by gerd and meds do not control your symptoms, it is a good option.

In brief: Very bad.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Depends

If symptoms not relieved by anti-acids or if precancerous changes in esophagus or if any breathing problems, then antireflux surgery should be done .
..

In brief: Depends

..
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery