I have two tears in my rotary cuff. What can I do beside a operation. Some times is hurts at night.

Dr. Cheryl Winchell

In brief: Not

Not everyone who tears their rotator cuff requires or gets surgery.
Minor tears might be surgically repaired in a competitive athlete while more major tears are allowed to heal without surgical intervention in elderly and less active individuals. If you can use your arm to do the things you need to do, physical therapy and some nsaids may be the ticket. If you have to have full use of your shoulder, you'll need to bite the bullet and opt for the surgery. Now that most of it is done with an arthroscope, recovery is quicker and less tissue damage is incurred to effect the repair.

In brief: Not

Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Dr. Monica Wood
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: The

The rotator cuff muscles help stabilize the shoulder and lift the arm from the side.
They can be torn traumatically in young athletes or as a part of aging. Most tears do not actually require surgery. There are 4 muscles that comprise the rotator cuff. A tear in one or two of them can frequently be made up by the other muscles. The key is therapy--lots of it. First they work on range of motion--getting your hand over your head, often with "wands" or pulleys. Then they work on strengthening, usually with wide rubberbands called therabands. By strengthening the other muscles in the cuff, you can compensate for the ones that are torn. Sometimes an injection helps with pain and inflammation to make it easier to do the therapy. I also recommend therapy before surgery to get the muscles in the best possible condition, making recovery a bit easier. If you do need surgery, it can be a long recovery and you need to work on motion and strengthening in much the same way. If you are not sure if your surgeon is making the best recommendations for you, get a second opinion.

In brief: The

Dr. Monica Wood
Dr. Monica Wood
Dr. Jack Hinkle