My 2 year old child has yellow pasty poop. What is the cause for this? He had a stomach virus recently, but he had this several weeks ago as well for about 2-3 days. It went away. And it just came back again.

Good. Good news! The only stool colors we get really concerned about are red (blood from colon), black (blood from small intestine or stomach), or white (liver is not working well). Colors such as brown, yellow, orange, green, blue, or even purple (beets) can all be normal and usually associated with diet. If he has a persistent change in his stool habits, you should contact his physician since this could be a sign of an underlying disorder, but a one-time strange stool that is not red, black or white is usually of no concern. If he is having continued diarrhea, or a change in color unrelated to diet, give his doctor a call. They may want to check his stool for bacterial, viruses, parasites, and other things to give clues as to why he is having this ongoing problem. Good luck!