I had a radial head fracture and i still have pain after 4 months. My elbow feels stuck. What should I do?

Dr. George Huffman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It

It is recommeded that you see an orthopaedic specialist trained in elbow, upper extremity surgery.
Stiffness after a radial head fracture is common. Other issues like scar tissue, incomplete healing of the broken bone and improper bone healing can also occur.

In brief: It

Dr. George Huffman
Dr. George Huffman
Dr. Christopher Henley
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: You

You need to see an elbow surgeon.
Did you see an orthopedic surgeon to get treated at first? The stuck feeling and pain could be several things - none of them very good. The most normal, non-alarming thing it could be is a stiff elbow with pain coming from the joint being stretched as you try to "unstick" it. This could be a bone healing problem, where the bone fragments don't heal. You could also have another injury on top of the radial head fracture causing stiffness, like an ulna fracture inside the joint. Impossible to diagnose here on the inter-webs. Please go forth and see an elbow surgeon.

In brief: You

You need to see an elbow surgeon.
Dr. Christopher Henley
Dr. Christopher Henley
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: AN

An neven joint surface or scar tissue in the joint or stiffness due to joint tightness, get reevaluated.

In brief: AN

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine